- Tulane University, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, PhD, 2016-present
- Appalachian State University, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, MS, 2013-2015
- Appalachian State University, Biology: Ecology, Evolution, and Environmental, BS, 2011-2013
- Sandhills Community College, AS, 2009-2011
- McClelland, S, RD Ribeiro, HW Mielke, ME Finkelstein, CR Gonzales, JA Jones, J Komdeur, E Derryberry, EB Saltzberg, and J Karubian. Sub-lethal exposure to lead is associated with heightened aggression in an urban songbird. Science of the Total Environment, in review.
- Tisdale, AC*, JA Jones*, K Aldinger, MH Bakermans, JL Larkin, DJ McNeil, CG Smalling, and L Siefferman. 2018. Geography and age are related to plumage coloration of male Golden-winged Warblers. Wilson Journal of Ornithology, 130:286-296. *These authors contributed equally to this work. Link.
- Kramer, GR, DE Andersen, DA Buehler, PB Wood, SM Peterson, JA Lehman, KR Aldinger, LP Bulluck, S Harding, JA Jones, J Loegering, D Miles, C Smalling, R Vallender and HM Streby. 2018. Population trends in Vermivora warblers are linked to strong migratory connectivity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 115:E3192:E3200. Link. Received press attention from National Audubon Society and The Wildlife Society.
- Albers, AN, JA Jones, and L Siefferman. Behavioral differences among eastern bluebird populations may be a consequence of tree swallow presence. 2017. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, 5:116. Link.
- Jones, JA, AC Tisdale, MH Bakermans, JL Larkin, CG Smalling, and L Siefferman. 2017. Multiple plumage ornaments as signals of resource holding potential and aggression in golden-winged warblers. Ethology, 123: 145-156. Link
- McNeil, DJ, KR Aldinger, MH Bakermans, JA Lehman, AC Tisdale, JA Jones, PB Wood, DA Buehler, CG Smalling, JL Larkin. An evaluation and comparison of conservation guidelines for an at-risk migratory songbird. Global Ecology and Conservation, 9:90-103. Link
- Jones, JA, AC Tisdale, JL Tucker, MH Bakermans, JL Larkin, CG Smalling, and L Siefferman. 2016. A case of mistaken identity: Understanding the stimulus of agonism between two wood warblers. Animal Behaviour, 114: 81-91. Link
- Jones, JA, MR Harris, and L Siefferman. 2014. Physical habitat quality and interspecific competition interact to influence territory settlement and reproductive success in a cavity nesting bird. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, 2:71. Link
- Jones, JA and L Siefferman. 2014. Agonistic behaviors between chestnut-sided (Setophaga pensylvanica) and golden-winged warblers (Vermivora chrysoptera) are unlikely a result of plumage misidentification. Wilson Journal of Ornithology, 126(4):708-716. Link
Popular Science and Agency Reports:
- MR Harris, L Siefferman, JA Jones, and MM Gangloff. 2016. Evaluation of the North Carolina Species (Conservation Status) Assessment Tool. Report to: North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.
- JA Jones, MR Harris, and L Siefferman. 2015. How tree swallows and habitat quality influence bluebird breeding success. Bluebird Notes, the North Carolina Bluebird Society, 30, 1-2. Link
Select Grants and Awards
- Hesse Award, American Ornithologists’ Union (2018)
- Tulane Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology Graduate Student Research Grant (x2)
- Tulane University: Louisiana Board of Regents Support Fund Fellowship
- Hesse Award, American Ornithologists’ Union (2015)
- Sigma Xi, Most Outstanding Graduate Student Research Award, Appalachian State Local Chapter
- Eugene P. Odum Award, Ecological Society of America, Southeast Chapter Award for most outstanding oral presentation; presented at the Association of Southern Biologists (ASB) meeting
- Sigma Xi, Grant-in-Aid of Research #480757
Scientific Conference Presentations
- Jones, JA, J Boersma, E Enbody, J Karubian. Ecological correlates of behavioural and social change in dichromatic Papuan fairywrens. Poster Presentation. American Ornithological Society and the Society of Canadian Ornithologists: East Lansing, MI.
- Jones, JA, J Boersma, E Enbody, J Karubian. Ecological determinants of phenotypic divergence in female coloration of Papuan fairywrens. Poster Presentation. Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology: New Orleans, LA. January 2017. Poster PDF.
- Boersma, J, E Enbody, JA Jones, J Karubian, and H Schwabl. Androgens and the evolution of plumage and behavioral phenotypes in a tropical passerine. Poster Presentation. Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology: New Orleans, LA. January 2017.
- Jones, JA, AC Tisdale, JL Tucker, MH Bakermans, JL Larkin, CG Smalling, and L Siefferman. 2016. A case of mistaken identity: Understanding the stimulus of agonism between two golden-winged and chestnut-sided warblers. North American Ornithological Conference VI: Washington, DC. August 2016. Received press attention from Cornell’s All About Birds event summary page for NAOC VI.
- Jones, JA, MH Bakermans, JL Larkin, CG Smalling, and L Siefferman. Applications of behavioral and community research for golden-winged warbler conservation. Oral presentation. American Ornithologist’s Union / Cooper Ornithological Society joint meeting: Norman, OK. July 2015.
- Jones, JA, AC Tisdale, CG Smalling, and L Siefferman. Ecological and behavioral consequences of sympatry between golden-winged and chestnut-sided warblers. Poster presentation. 18th Annual Celebration of Student Research and Creative Endeavors: Boone, NC. April 2015. Awarded Sigma Xi best poster on interdisciplinary research.
- Jones, JA, AC Tisdale, MH Bakermans, JL Larkin, CG Smalling, and L Siefferman. Ecological and behavioral consequences of sympatry between golden-winged and chestnut-sided warblers. Oral presentation. Association of Southeastern Biologists: Chattanooga, TN. April 2015. Awarded best oral presentation on ecological research by the Southeastern chapter of the Ecological Society of America.
- Jones, JA, AC Tisdale, CG Smalling, and L Siefferman. Ecological and behavioral consequences of sympatry between golden-winged and chestnut-sided warblers. Poster presentation. 51st Animal Behaviour Society Conference: Princeton, NJ. August 2014. Poster PDF
- Tisdale, AC, JA Jones, L Siefferman, CG Smalling, MH Bakermans, JL Larkin, D Buehler, P Wood, K Aldinger, DJ McNeil, and J Lehman. Habitat quality, male plumage, and reproductive output in golden-winged warblers. Poster presentation. 51st Animal Behaviour Society Conference: Princeton, NJ. August 2014.
- Jones, JA, MR Harris, and L Siefferman. Past territory use predicts habitat quality and aggressive behaviors in eastern bluebirds (Sialia sialis). Poster presentation. American Ornithologist’s Union. August 2013. Poster PDF
- Jones, JA. A case of mistaken identity: Understanding the stimulus of aggression between two sympatric warblers. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology EcoLunch presentation, Tulane University: New Orleans. September 2016.
- Jones, JA. A case of mistaken identity: Understanding the stimulus of aggression between two sympatric warblers. Master’s Thesis Seminar, Appalachian State University: Boone, NC. November 2015.
- Jones, JA. Ecological and behavioral consequences of sympatry between golden-winged and chestnut-sided warblers. Sigma Xi Annual Banquet, Appalachian State University Local Chapter: Boone, NC. April 2015.
- Jones, JA. Golden-winged warblers of the southern Appalachians: A behavioral approach to a conservation priority. Carolina Bird Club: Hendersonville, NC. May 2014.
- Jones, JA, MR Harris, and L Siefferman. Physical and social environment interact to influence territory settlement and reproductive success in bluebirds. North Carolina Bluebird Society: Fayetteville, NC. April 2014.
- Jones, JA and AC Tisdale. Golden-winged warbler working group. High Country Audubon Society: Boone, NC. October 2013.
Teaching Positions and Employment History
- Graduate Teaching Assistant at Tulane University, Fall 2018. Labs for Ecology
- Adjunct Supplemental Instructor at Appalachian State University, Spring 2016: labs for Global climate change and Earth’s life & Intro Biology II
- North Carolina Conservation Status Protocol Assessment, August 2015 – February 2016; See agency reports
- Graduate Teaching Assistant at Appalachian State University, 2013-2015: labs for Ecology (x2), Ornithology, Intro Biology II
- Biological Field Technician for Audubon North Carolina, Summer 2013, 2014
- Reviewer – I have served as a manuscript reviewer for three manuscripts (Wilsons Journal of Ornithology (x2) and Journal of Field Biology) since my first publication in 2014.
- Student Mentorship – I have trained six undergraduates and one masters student to track, mist-net, and band birds between 2014-2015, who received course credit in avian field biology at Appalachian State University. I have additionally guided numerous students from Ecology, Ornithology, and Animal Behavior courses to design projects centered on eastern bluebird/tree swallow nest-box competition. Finally, I have trained several students (undergraduate and masters) to operate a spectrometer to record color reflectance data in bird feathers and amphibians.
- Outreach –
- In New Orleans, I gave three workshops on the application GPS technology in conservation research at the ‘Boys at Tulane in Science’ series at Tulane University. I have also given three workshops to elementary schoolers about the effects of climate change on Louisiana coasts.
- In Papua New Guinea, I have assisted in the training of three local biologists to capture, band, and record morphometrics of songbirds via mist-nets. I gave three lectures in a local primary school in Porotona Village, Milne Bay, Province, and one in Obo Village in Western Province, on grassland conservation and the white-shouldered fairywren with an emphasis on animal communication.
- In North Carolina, I have given guest lectures for Animal Behavior (x1), Ecology (x2), Ornithology (x1), and Introductory Biology for Majors (x3). I have also helped orchestrate and lead two festivals in Watauga Co., NC (the Boone Annual Boone Birding Festival and the Heritage Festival) for raising awareness for local avian and amphibian communities, with a focus on conservation and outreach to K-12. I have also presented to the High Country Audubon Society about golden-winged warbler conservation.
Updated: 6 August 2018